Mentorship in Marketing: Do You Have a Mentor?
‘A wise man will hear & increase in learning,
And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel.’ ~Proverbs 1:5
If there’s one thing I’ve learned in life & my career, it’s that having a mentor is crucial to one’s success. How are you going to learn & grow if you don’t have someone to gain wisdom from? Along my journey, I’ve found several people that have acted as a mentor in one way or another (sometimes even when they were unaware of it). In marketing, I’ve gained a wealth of wisdom from individuals such as Stephen Pierce, my good friend, Ivan Harris, and my business partner, Jerry Maurer. We all have different strengths, talents, and experiences that we share & draw from each other.
Mentoring in Marketing: So how do you find a good mentor?
I have narrowed down 4 key components that make up a great trainer:
1. Find someone who won’t put you in the ‘Witness Protection Program.‘ What I mean by this is, be cautious of self-proclaimed ‘gurus’ on the internet who want nothing more than to take your $ and run! I’ve been there, done that. When you have someone pursuing you to close the sale, and then you don’t hear from them (or have trouble contacting them), you know that is NOT a quality mentor. They are more concerned with selfish gain, than with aiding you in your own success. Stay away! Research, research, research each mentor you’re considering & go with the one that has the most ‘added value’- according to who they’ve helped.
2. Find someone with a COMPATIBLE PERSONALITY. Not everyone jives, or has the same outlook on life. Even if a trainer has a wealth of information, if you’re not on the same page as them (personality wise), it’s not going to work. With Team Mark & Jerry, there are some team members who feel more comfortable working closely with Jerry than myself…and visa versa. Do I take offense that they prefer Jerry in some cases? No! I encourage people to find a trainer/mentor who fits their own personality. There’s nothing worse than trying to work with a person that you bump heads with!
3. Find a Mentor who will invest at least 2 hours a week into helping you succeed! Is this mentor you’re considering too busy to meet with you weekly (via phone, internet, or whatever means necessary)? If the answer is yes, save your money! It’s crucial that you have a mentor who can evaluate where you are in your learning, encourage and train you in your weakest areas, and keep you accountable on your progress & goals. That is what good teachers do! They don’t simply take your $, throw out information, & move on without checking back to see if you’re succeeding!
4. Find a Marketing Mentor who knows how & can teach you how to DOMINATE the Search Engines & BRAND YOURSELF! With business today, internet marketing is the way to make $$$. It is crucial to learn how to get on top of the Search Engines (Yahoo, Google, YouTube, etc…). You want to know how to brand yourself in your industry if you want to take your business to the next level!
Mentorship in Marketing: Are You Ready?
Now that we’ve touched on finding a mentor, let’s focus on YOU. After all, it takes 2 to Tango! You can’t expect a mentor to do all the work! Success is also going to be based on what you DO with the information you’ve learned! Here are 3 questions you need to ask yourself:
1. Are you TEACHABLE? So many people will defensively answer ‘yes.’ Take the time to really think this through. Are you humble enough to admit that you need help? Are you willing to absorb new information from someone who has already traveled the road you’re on? This may seem like a no-brainer to you, but I cannot tell you how many times I’ve listened to those I’m training, and told them what adjustments they need to make, only to hear, ‘I don’t know…I like doing it this way instead.’ Really? If you already have attained success in your business, why did you call me? I’ve learned that I can only help those who genuinely WANT to helped. They have to be willing to step out of their comfort zones, and follow the instructions I give.
2. Are you ready to TAKE ACTION? Sam Ewig said it best when he stated, ‘Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don’t turn up at all.’ You cannot take information and then refuse to put it into action. Building a successful business does NOT happen overnight & it will take a lot of energy and hard work. You have to decide whether you are just going to talk the talk, or if your willing to WALK THE WALK!
3. Are you DISCIPLINED? In MLM businesses, I run into countless individuals who jump from business to business. In fact, I get exhausted listening to so many new pitches daily…people wanting to recruit me into their ‘new, cutting edge opportunity.’ How will you ever know if something works, if you only put it into action for a short time? Again, you can’t have the ‘get rich quick’ mentality & expect everything to come easily to you. There are times you are going to feel exhausted, intimidated, doubtful, emotional…the list goes on and on! You have to be determined to stay the course & reap the long term benefits. Remember what Aristotle declared: ‘We are what we REPEATEDLY DO. Excellence then, is not an act but a HABIT.’
In a nutshell, marketing in this economy is not a small task. If you want to bring your business to the peak of success, you must find mentors to help you along the way…people who are willing to walk alongside you & train you in your business. In turn, you must be teachable, put your learning to action, and be disciplined to follow through repeatedly.
Mark Stephens, Marketing Mentor
Marketing Your Business